Detroit Naval Armory

Address: 
7600 East Jefferson Avenue
City: 
Detroit
Region: 
Michigan
Country: 
USA
Opened: 
1930

_______________________________________________

The Detroit Naval Armory is a limestone structure with four main sections: a vestibule, a drill hall, an office / penthouse section, and a company drill hall. The building mixes Art Moderne and Art Deco influences, and contains a large array of Depression-era WPA art by artists such as John Tabaczuk, Edgar Yaeger, David Fredenthal, and Gustave Hildebrand, all with nautical themes. The building faces East Jefferson; the entrance is heavily decorated in military and naval themes using Pewabic tiles. In front of the building is a semi-circular drive encircling a flagpole erected in 1943 and a large Navy anchor from the USS Yantic, a Civil War gunboat whose hull is buried in a filled-in boat slip in Gabriel Richard Park.