Colonial Theater

Address: 
2615 Woodward Avenue
City: 
Detroit
Region: 
Michigan
Country: 
USA
Postal Code: 
48201
Opened: 
1917
Closed: 
1974
Capacity: 
1,566

____________________________________________________

The Colonial Theatre, which was, like so many other Detroit theaters, a work of C. Howard Crane, was opened on October 8, 1917, and originally could seat 1,566 in its auditorium. It had both vaudeville acts and motion pictures on its program in its early days, but soon switched to movies-only. It was first owned, like the huge Hollywood Theatre, by the Cohen Brothers, and its original plans called for a nearly 3,000 seat palace, with over 200 box seats. The Colonial Theatre was operated by Midwest Theaters from the 1950's on, and operated into the mid-1970's. Not long after it closed its doors, it was razed.